Anatomic and Clinical Pathology American Board of Pathology
Fellow - Molecular Pathology and Genetics University of Washington, Seattle, WA
2017 - 2018
Fellow - Gastrointestinal and Hepatobiliary Pathology University of Washington, Seattle, WA
2016 - 2017
Anatomic and Clinical Pathology Resident University of Washington, Seattle, WA
2012 - 2016
Anatomic Pathology Resident Hacettepe University, Department of Pathology, Ankara, Turkey
2004 - 2009
Doctorate of Medicine Hacettepe University, Department of Pathology, Ankara, Turkey
2017 - 2018
Acting Instructor Hacettepe University, Department of Pathology, Ankara, Turkey
5 - 7/2009
Senior Research Scientist
2010 - 2012
University of Washington, Department of Pathology, Seattle, WA; Rabinovitch and True Labs
Novel urothelium specific markers Uroplakin II and S100P: comparative study in primary and metastatic urothelial carcinomas. Maria Tretiakova.
August 2014 - Present
Neoadjvunant chemotherapy response in metastatic liver tumors. Matthew Yeh, Ray Yeung
September 2016 - Present
Molecular profiling of hepatocellular and cholangiocarcinomas with next generation sequencing. Matthew Yeh, Eric Konnick.
September 2016 - Present
Expression of CD24 and androgen receptor (AR) in micropapillary urothelial carcinomas. Funda Vakar-Lopez.
August 2014 - September 2016
Tissue Proteins Predictive of Outcome in Prostate Cancer. True Lab, University of Washington, Department of Pathology, Seattle, WA, USA.
August 2011 - July 2012
Biomarkers of Cancer Risk in Ulcerative Colitis. Rabinovitch Lab, University of
Washington, Department of Pathology, Seattle, WA, USA. Supported by NIH P20
CA103728, R01 CA068124, P30 AG13280, NIH DK56924, K07 CA137136, and the Crohn’s
and Colitis Foundation of America
August 2010 - July 2012
WWOX gene methylation, Wwox and Fhit protein expression in primary breast tumors
and breast parenchymal tissues and their relationship to prognostic and epidemiological
data. Hacettepe University Faculty of Medicine, Department of Pathology. Supported by
Hacettepe University Research Fund Grant.
2008 - 2010
Role of WWOX, PR, ERBB2, AP2α, AP2γ, p73 and ERBB4 in development of tamoxifen
resistance in breast cancer patients. Hacettepe University Faculty of Medicine,
Department of Pathology. Supported by Hacettepe University Research Fund Grant.
2005 - 2007
proteins in breast cancer subtypes. Ohio States University Biomedical Research Center
and Hacettepe University Faculty of Medicine, Department of Pathology. Supported by
US Public Health Service/National Cancer Institute Grants, pilot funding from the
Molecular Biology and Cancer Genetics Program of the Ohio State University
Comprehensive Cancer Center, Hacettepe University Research Fund Grant and the
Stephanie Spielman Foundation.
2007 - 2012
Resident Research Project Award
Use of array CGH to rule in/out oncocytoma of the kidney in needle core biopsies.
Academy of Clinical Laboratory Physicians and Scientists Paul E. Strandjord Young
University of Washington Department of Pathology Retreat Best Poster Award (2nd
University of Washington Department of Pathology Retreat Best Poster Award (2nd
USCAP, Junior Member, 2008 – Present
Association for Molecular Pathology, 2017 – Present
Hans Popper Hepatopathology Society, 2017 – Present
Rodger C. Haggitt Gastrointestinal Pathology Society, 2017 – Present
International Society of Urological Pathology, Member, 2012 – Present
Pacific Northwest Society of Pathologists, Member, 2011– Present
Society of Pathology in Ankara, Member, 2004 – Present
Turkish Society of Pediatric Pathology, Member, 2007 – Present
Washington State Society of Pathology, 2014 – Present
Washington State Medical Association, 2014 – Present
Peer reviewed publications
- Tretiakova M, Fulton R, Kocherginsky M, Long T, Ussakli C, Antic T, Gown A. Concordance study
of PD-L1 expression in primary and metastatic bladder carcinomas: comparison of 4 commonly
used antibodies and RNA expression. Accepted for publication in Modern Pathology.
Ussakli C, Usubutun A, Dincer N, Dolgun A, Bülbül D, Isikdogan Z, Haberal N, Ozen O, Tezel GG.
Serous versus high-grade endometrioid endometrial carcinoma: immunohistochemistry of RFP is
not useful for differentiation. Pol J Pathol 2016; 67 (3): 221-227.
- Soylemezoglu F, Himmetoglu C, Oguz KK, Saygi S, Akalan N. A 41-Year-Old Man wıth DrugResistant
Complex Partial Seizures. Brain pathology (Zurich, Switzerland). 2015; 25 (4) : 511-2.
- Kamburoğlu HO, Kayikcioglu AU, Himmetoglu Ç. A case of myoepithelioma mimicking a parotid
cyst. Ear, nose, & throat journal. 2015; 94 (1): 37-9.
- Risques RA, Ussakli C, Salk JJ, Rabinovitch PS, Brentnall TA. Response. Journal of the National
Cancer Institute. 2014; 106 (2): djt437.
- Ussakli CH, Ebaee A, Binkley J, Brentnall TA, Emond MJ, Rabinovitch PS, Risques RA.
Mitochondria and tumor progression in ulcerative colitis. Journal of the National Cancer
Institute. 2013; 105 (16) : 1239-48.
- Salk JJ, Bansal A, Lai LA, Crispin DA, Ussakli CH, Horwitz MS, Bronner MP, Brentnall TA, Loeb LA,
Rabinovitch PS, Risques RA. Clonal expansions and short telomeres are associated with
neoplasia in early-onset, but not late-onset, ulcerative colitis. Inflammatory bowel diseases.
2013; 19 (12) : 2593-2602.
- Spencer ES, Johnston RB, Gordon RR, Lucas JM, Ussakli CH, Hurtado-Coll A, Srivastava S, Nelson
PS, Porter CR. Prostate. Prognostic value of ERG oncoprotein in prostate cancer recurrence and
cause-specific mortality. 2013; Jan 17. doi: 10.1002/pros.2263 : Jan 17. doi: 10.1002/pros.2263.
- Tezel GG, Ordulu Z, Himmetoglu C, Usubütün A. Turk Patoloji Derg. The Selective Expression
of Ret Finger Protein in Endometrial Cancer: Can RFP be a Marker of Serous Carcinomas?. 2012;
28 (3) : 213-219.
- Guler G, Balci S, Costinean S, Ussakli CH, Irkkan C, Suren D, Sari E, Altundag K, Ozisik Y, Jones S,
Bacher J, Shapiro CL, Huebner K. Stem cell-related markers in primary breast cancers and
associated metastatic lesions. Modern Pathology. 2012; 25 (7) : 949-955.
- Onder S, Kosemehmetoglu K, Himmetoglu C, Firat P, Uner A. Sclerosing angiomatoid nodular
transformation (SANT) of spleen: a case report describing cytology, histology, immunoprofile
and differential diagnosis. Cytopathology. 2011; 23 (2) : 129-132.
- Guler G, Himmetoglu C, Jimenez RE, Geyer SM, Wang WP, Costinean S, Pilarski RT, Morrison C,
Suren D, Liu J, Chen J, Kamal J, Shapiro CL, Huebner K. Aberrant expression of DNA damage
response proteins is associated with breast cancer subtype and clinical features. Breast Cancer
Res Treat. 2011; 129 (2) : 421-432.
- Risques RA, Lai LA, Himmetoglu C, Abaee A, Li L, Feng Z, Bronner MP, Al-Lahham B, Kowdley KV,
Lindor KD, Rabinovitch PS, Brentnall TA. Ulcerative colitis-associated colorectal cancer arises in a
field of short telomeres, senescence, and inflammation. Cancer Research. 2010; 71 (5) :
- Kiratli H, Erkan K, Himmetoglu C, Uner A. Lateral rectus muscle involvement in leukemia. Clin
Experiment Ophthalmol. 2010; 38 (6) : 651-652.
- Dincer N, Tezel GG, Sungur A, Himmetoglu C, Huebner K, Guler G. Study of FHIT and WWOX
expression in mucoepidermoid carcinoma and adenoid cystic carcinoma of salivary gland. Oral
Oncology. 2010; 46 (3) : 195-199.
- Onal ED, Altinbas A, Onal IK, Ascioglu S, Akpinarli MG, Himmetoglu C, Sardan YC. Successful
outpatient management of pelvic actinomycosis by ceftriaxone: a report of three cases. Brazilian
Journal of Infectious Diseases. 2009; 13 (5) : 391-393.
- Kiratli H, Balci KE, Himmetoglu C, Uner A. Isolated extraocular muscle involvement as the
ophthalmic manifestation of leukaemia. Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology. 2009; 37 (6) :
- Guler G, Huebner K, Himmetoglu C, Jimenez RE, Costinean S, Volinia S, Pilarski RT, Hayran M,
Shapiro CL. Fragile histidine triad protein, WW domain-containing oxidoreductase protein
Wwox, and activator protein 2gamma expression levels correlate with basal phenotype in
breast cancer. Cancer. 2009; 115 (4) : 899-908.
- Ertoy Baydar D, Himmetoglu C, Yazici S, Kiziloz H, Ozen H. Primary osteosarcoma of the urinary
bladder following cyclophosphamide therapy for systemic lupus erythematosus: a case report.
Journal of Medical Case Reports. 2009; 3 (39) : 1-5.
- Ayhan A, Aksan G, Gultekin M, Esin S, Himmetoglu C, Dursun P, Usubutun A, Yuce K.
Prognosticators and the role of lymphadenectomy in uterine leiomyosarcomas. Archives of
Gynecology and Obstetrics. 2009; 280 (1) : 79-85.
- Himmetoglu C, Usubutun A, Ayhan A, Kucukali T. Incidental serous papillary ovarian carcinoma
diagnosed on endometrial biopsy. Turkish Journal of Pathology. 2008; 24 (3) : 186-189.
- Salman MC, Himmetoglu C, Basaran D, Usubutun A, Beksac S. Fordyce Spot of Vulva Confused
with Condyloma Accuminatum. Gynecology Obstetrics & Reproductive Medicine. 2008; 142 (2) :
- Baydar DE, Himmetoglu C. Test and Teach. Abnormal glands in the uterine cervix Part 1.
Diagnosis: Ectopic prostate tissue in the uterine cervix Pathology. Pathology. 2008; 40 (4) :
- Guler G, Iliopoulos D, Guler N, Himmetoglu C, Hayran M, Huebner K. Wwox and Ap2gamma
expression levels predict tamoxifen response. Clinical Cancer Research. 2007; 13 (20) :
- Usubütün A, Ozseker HS, Himmetoglu C, Balci S, Ayhan A. Omentectomy for gynecologic cancer:
how much sampling is adequate for microscopic examination?. Archives of Pathology and
Laboratory Medicine. 2007; 131 (10) : 1578-1581.
- Himmetoglu C, Uner A. Images in hematology-oncology. Turkish Journal of Cancer. 2007; 37 (4) :
- Himmetoglu C, Yamak S, Tezel GG. Diffuse fatty infiltration in amyloid goiter. Pathology
International. 2007; 57 (7): 449-453.
- Yildiz AN, Duran S, Guler Z, Gursoy ZS, Himmetoglu C, Kasapoglu B, Sukur ED, Bilir N.
Selfassesment of body weight among women aged 18 and over in Batikent Health Center
District Site. Journal of Nutrition and Dietetics. 2005; 32 (1) : 27-36.
- Long T, Fulton R, Kocherginsky M, Antic T, Ussakli CH, Gown AM, Tretiakova M. Concordance
Study of 4 Anti-PD-L1 Antibodies in Primary and Metastatic Bladder Cancer. Presented at USCAP
Annual Meeting 2017; San Antonio, TX.
- Ussakli CH, Delaney S, Fligner C. Arthrogryposis Multiplex Congenita with Unexpected Etiology:
Congenital CMV Infection. Presented at CAP Annual Meeting; Nashville, TN. 10/06/2015.
- Ussakli CH, Lei Zhao, Tatjana Antic, Maria S Tretiakova. S100P and Uroplakin II Expression in
Matched Paired Primary and Metastatic Urothelial Carcinomas. Presented at USCAP 2015
Annual Meeting; Boston, MA. 03/24/2015.
- Ussakli CH, Rodney Schmidt. Data From Words: The Spectrum of Hidden Information in Simple
Word Lists from Pathology Reports. Presented at USCAP 2015 Annual Meeting; Boston, MA.
- Ussakli CH, Yajuan J Liu, Tatjana Antic, Lawrence True, Maria S Tretiakova. Oncocytic Renal
Neoplasms with Unique Cytogenetic Profiles. Presented at USCAP 2015 Annual Meeting; Boston,
- Ussakli CH, Patrick C. Mathias, Sinan Ussakli, Noah Hoffman. An Open-Source Online Database
for Clinical Pathology Consults. Presented at Academy of Clinical Laboratory Physicians and
Scientists Annual Meeting 2014; San Francisco, LA. 05/30/2014.
- Ussakli CH, Brentnall TA, Emond M, Rabinovitch PS, Risques RA. Mitochondrial biomarkers for
early colorectal cancer detection in ulcerative colitis. Presented at 8th Early Detection Research
Network (EDRN) Scientific Workshop: Promises and Challenges in Cancer Screening, Early
Detection and Biomarkers; Bethesda, MD. 03/13/2013.
- Ussakli CH,Usubutun A, Bulbul D, Isikdogan Z, Haberal N, Ozen O, Tezel GG. Can we successfully
subtype high grade endometrial carcinomas: The role of morphology and
immunohistochemistry revisited. Presented at USCAP 2013 Annual Meeting; Baltimore, MD.
- Johnston Richard, Spencer Elysia Sophia, Qu Xiaoyu, Ussakli CH, Gordon Ryan Robert,
VakarLopez Funda, Lewinshtein Daniel, Lucas Jared, Dobi Albert, Mcleod David G., Fang Min,
Srivastava Shiv, Nelson Peter, Porter Christopher R. Association of expression of ERG
oncoprotein with development of disease recurrence and prostate cancer-specific mortality.
Presented at 2012 ASCO Annual Meeting; Chicago. IL. 06/01/2012.
- Risques RA, Ussakli CH, Abaee A, Brentnall TA, Rabinovitch PS. Mitochondrial dysfunction
precedes tumor progression in ulcerative colitis, but it is restored in advanced dysplasia and
cancer. Presented at AACR Annual Meeting; Chicago. IL, USA. 04/02/2012.
- Ussakli CH, True Lawrence. Current Immunomarkers Are Inadequate for Accurate Classification
of Renal Epithelial Tumors. Presented at USCAP Annual Meeting; Vancouver, BC. 03/20/2012.
- Risques RA, Ussakli CH, Abaee A, Brentnall TA, Rabinovitch PS. Mitochondrial dysfunction is
associated with cancer progression in Ulcerative Colitis. Presented at AACR Frontiers in Basic
Cancer Research Meeting; San Francisco, CA, USA. 09/20/2011.
- Himmetoglu C, Guler G, Huebner K. WWOX Gene Methylation, WWOX and FHIT Protein
Expression in Primary Breast Tumors and Breast Parenchymal Tissues and Their Relationship to
Prognostic and Epidemiological Data. Presented at USCAP Annual Meeting; San Antonio, TX,
- Guler G, Himmetoglu C, Jimenez RE, Wang WP, Costinean S, Suren D, Hayran M, Shapiro C,
Huebner K. DNA Damage‐Associated Proteins in Triple Negative Breast Cancers. Presented at
USCAP Annual Meeting; Washington, DC, USA. March 2010.
- Guler G, Huebner K, Himmetoglu C, Jimenez R, Constinean S, Volinia S, Pilarski R, Hayran M,
Shapiro C. Fhit, Wwox and AP2 Expression Levels Correlate with Basal Phenotype in Breast
Cancer. Presented at USCAP Annual Meeting; Boston, MA, USA. March 2009.
- Himmetoglu C, Onder S, Firat P, Ruacan S. Proliferative Myositis: A Case Diagnosed by Fine
Needle Aspiration Biopsy. Presented at 4th National Congress of Cytopathology; Ankara, Turkey.
- Baydar DE, Himmetoglu C. Incidence of EDNRB Hypermethylation in Prostatic Adenocarcinoma.
Presented at USCAP Annual Meeting; Denver, CO, USA. March 2008.
- Himmetoglu C, Mocan GK, Ayhan A. A Case Report: Extensive In Situ Squamous Cell Carcinoma
of the Endometrium as Superficial Extension of Invasive Cervical Carcinoma. Presented at 21st
European Congress of Pathology; Istanbul, Turkey. September, 2007.
- Himmetoglu C, Ozseker H, Gedikoglu G. A Brief Report of Synovial Sarcoma Cases in Hacettepe
University: A Morphological Analysis. Presented at 21st European Congress of; Istanbul, Turkey.
- Usubutun A, Himmetoglu C, Aksan G, Esin S, Ayhan A, Kucukali T. Retrospective Analysis of
Gynecological Sarcomas. Presented at 21st European Congress of; Istanbul, Turkey. September
- Sevgen O, Himmetoglu C, Kosemehmetoglu K, Uner A. Cytologic Features of Sclerosing
Angiomatoid Nodular Transformation (SANT) of Spleen. A Retrospective Analysis in a Case.
Presented at 32th European Congress of Cytology; Venice, Italy. October 2006.
- Himmetoglu C, Ozseker H, Usubutun A. Report of 2 cases: Metastatic Tumors of Cervix and the
Importance of Signet‐ring Cell Morphology. Presented at 9th National Gynecologic Oncology
Congress; Antalya, Turkey. April 2006.
- Himmetoglu C, Firat P. Cytologic Features of Calcified Epithelial Odontogenic Tumor. Presented
at 1st National Congress of Cytopathology; Antalya, Turkey. March 2006.
- Himmetoglu C, Firat P, Giray B, Usubutun A. Diagnostic Value of Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology
in the Cystic Lesions of the Jaw. Presented at 32th European Congress of Cytology; Venice, Italy.
- Altinok G, Himmetoglu C, Gurel B, Ensari Arzu, Sokmensuer Cenk. Dursun Ayse, Gunhan O,
Gungen Y, Gedikoglu G. Clinicopathologic Features and Immunohistochemical Staining for C‐kit
Protein (CD117) in Metastatic and Primary Malignant Melanoma of the Gastrointestinal Tract.
Presented at 20th European Congress of Pathology; Paris, France. September 2005.
- Gurel B, Himmetoglu C, Altinok G. Histological Changes in Hyperplastic Polyps and Surrounding
Gastric Mucosa. Presented at 20th European Congress of Pathology; Paris, France. September
- Himmetoglu C, Gurel B, Altinok G, Sokmensuer C. Malignant melanoma; presenting as an
invaginating small intestinal mass. Presented at 23rd World Congress of Pathology and
Laboratory Medicine; Istanbul, Turkey. May 2005.
- Himmetoglu Ussakli C, Mathias P, Ussakli S, Hoffman N. (05/30/2014). An Open-Source Online
Database for Clinical Pathology Consults. Presented at Academy of Clinical Laboratory Physicians
and Scientists Annual Meeting 2014; San Francisco, LA.
- Himmetoglu C. (2009, April). Breast Cancer, Epigenetics and BRCA1 Testing. Oral Presentation
presented at: Continuing Medical Education Course in Pathology; Ankara, Turkey.
- Himmetoglu C, Altinok G. (2007, September). Intestinal Involvement in Stevens - Johnson
Syndrome: A Fatal Outcome. Oral Presentation presented at: 53rd Annual Meeting of Pediatric
Pathology Society; Istanbul, Turkey.
- Himmetoglu C, Dincer N, Altinok G. (2007, September). A Late Complication of Cystic Fibrosis:
Multiple hepatic cyst formations, mimicking Caroli's Disease. Oral Presentation presented at:
53rd Annual Meeting of Pediatric Pathology Society; Istanbul, Turkey.
- Himmetoglu C, Usubutun A, Kucukali T. (2007, March). Incidental serous papillary ovarian
carcinoma diagnosed on endometrial biopsy. Oral Presentation presented at: Society of
Pathology in Ankara Monthly Meeting; Ankara, Turkey.
- English to Turkish translation, "Pathology of Female Genital System" Chapter of Robbins and
Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease, Seventh Edition, Ankara, Turkey, 2007
- English to Turkish translation, "Malpresentations and Cord Prolapsus" Chapter of CURRENT
Diagnosis & Treatment Obstetrics & Gynecology, Tenth Edition (LANGE CURRENT Series),
Ankara, Turkey, 2009
Other Work Experience
University of Washington, Department of Pathology, Seattle, WA
Sept - Oct 2008
University of Washington, Department of Pathology, Seattle, WA
Ohio State University Biomedical Research Center, Columbus, OH, USA
Elective Resident Rotation
CellNetix Pathology and Laboratories, Seattle, WA